Monday, July 21, 2014

Forest Haunts

Outfit - fair trade cotton print dress
Salmon cotton dress with navy tights
Cotton print dress, vintage locket
Vintage oval locket
Thrifted leather shoes
Backpack purse
Outfit - salmon print cotton dress with navy tights
For whatever reason - probably all the walking we've been doing lately - my feet feel too big for some of my shoes. I had heard that you can stretch leather shoes by sealing water in a plastic baggie, putting it inside your shoe, and sticking it in the freezer for a few hours. It didn't work the first time because I used too much water and the baggies only stayed in the opening of the shoe, but the second time I slipped the baggie all the way down into the toe. It did stretch the shoes a little - making them much more comfortable to wear.

This little backpack is my new favorite thrifted bag. My wardrobe is a seesaw of practical and aesthetic choices, and I love it when I find something that is a perfect balance. I really like having my hands free, and it's big enough to comfortably hold my camera, some granola bars and a water bottle.

As often as I've worn this salmon-colored dress from Mata Traders, I can't recall wearing it with the sleeves rolled up. But it's currently my favorite way of styling it. It's interesting how a little thing like changing the shape of your sleeves can alter the whole look of an outfit. And speaking of altering - did you know that nylon tights take Rit dye really well? These tights used to be white. After a few months, I realized I had much more use for dark tights, so I dyed them royal blue, and then later black, resulting in this nice navy color. This is probably my most successful dying project!

Many thanks to everyone who has added The Flying Clubhouse to their blogroll - with less than a dozen posts so far, it makes me so happy that you have faith in this new blog. Also, a big thanks to all who are following on Bloglovin' (or blogger or however you choose to follow this blog) - I really appreciate it!

dress: mata traders (old)
tights: asos (modified)
shoes // bag: thrifted
locket: vintage

bloglovin | tumblr | twitter | pinterest

15 comments:

  1. Love your new, fresh blog!

    ~Courtney
    http://astyleblogofsomesort.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Courtney! There's nothing like a fresh start. :-)

      Delete
  2. Ooh that backpack was a great find! I need to get in on the Mata Traders game, I dig this dress on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lisa. Although this one is old, they have some in a similar style with short sleeves.

      Delete
  3. Have you tried taking your shoes to be stretched? It generally isn't much and our local guy always does a pretty good job of it.

    Love this look, so simple but so... encompassing of a feeling and very intentionally so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't thought of it, actually. That's a good idea. I think there's actually a cobbler not terribly far away from us too!

      Thanks, Kristian. :-)

      Delete
  4. I never knew you could do that with leather! That's pretty neat idea. I love a good rucksack, but I think I need to get a smaller one. I use one for work and then I have to empty it and re fill it for the weekend, I feel like I need to separate ones. Maybe slightly smaller for little adventures too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this color on you. Looks perfect in the forest!

    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  6. I failed miserably when I tried the water trick for stretching shoes, I wonder if I made the same mistake of too much water. Little backpacks are so awesome, I grabbed a leather one a few years ago because I was travelling and wanted something practical and not ugly and it's one of the best things I've ever bought. I really think they're so cute and I love knowing my things are safe.
    I love this outfit, the third image down of you is so beautiful, I could imagine it on a postcard or something.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the sleeves rolled up and your locket is beautiful. I have never tried stretching leather shoes, but it is really interesting to read about.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This outfit has such a great fall feel. I think it's the color of your dress and the fact that you're wearing tights! I want to wear something like this now! You look adorable. Have you heard of that trick to stretch out shoes where you put on thick socks, put the shoes on, and blast a hairdryer at them? I haven't tried it but I've heard it works too?

    Jamie | PetitePanoply.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'll have to try the hair dryer trick!

      Thanks Jamie! I've enjoyed pulling out the tights recently. I suppose these photos may be a bit misleading, because we've had some odd, cooler days recently. But it's mostly been too warm for them!

      Delete
  9. I just found your blog and I have to say I love it!! You have the cutest style :) I never thought about dying my tights, that's a really smart idea I might have to try it sometime soon.

    Love Rhiannon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rhiannon! Dying tights is a lot of fun. I guess there's just something about nylon that soaks up the dye really well. :-)

      Delete
  10. You look fabulous, my dear! Love the hair!

    ReplyDelete