Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Little Deer

blue collared sheath dress
The Flying Clubhouse: outfit, little blue dress
The Flying Clubhouse: collar, vintage purse
elkridge dress from shop ruche with vintage bag
heart necklace
deer, fawn
While I was taking photos, a curious fawn peeked through the brush to see what I was up to. It startled me so much that this was the best photo I could manage before it ran away into the undergrowth. It's a shame I didn't move quicker, because this little deer was only about seven feet away!

I'm kind of in love with the collar and shape of this little dress from Ruche, and (I say this about most of my dresses, but...) I can't wait to add layers in the fall. I'm wearing black tights here because we had a few strange, cool days. But now we're back to the normal August heat and humidity.

This casual little blue dress originally had an open back, but I decided it didn't quite suit me, so I carefully removed the zipper and sewed up the back, leaving a few inches below the button for a keyhole opening. The fabric is a little stretchy, so the whole thing slides over my head (sans zipper and open back) quite easily. Since almost all of my clothes come from online shops, I've learned to make many small adjustments here and there with the sewing machine. 

Do you ever make DIY adjustments to your clothes?

dress: shop ruche
tights // necklace: asos (old)
shoes // bag: thrifted // vintage


bloglovin | tumblr | twitter | pinterest

12 comments:

  1. Aww how cute! I never move quick enough with my camera! I love this dress, I was just thinking it and then you said it haha. I love adjusting clothes, my favourite thing to do is to buy long skirts and shorten them to midi skirt height for me. I can pick some great second hand skirts with awesome patterns. It's better than buying midi length skirts as they are still a little too long for me :) Other than that, I haven't branched out into too many adjustments, I'm just starting to make friends with my sewing machine.

    ~ K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome! It's almost like "I'd rather have a skirt that fits me AND a new circle scarf," lol. Oh, and you're recycling, so everyone's winning. Isn't it empowering to be able to make your clothes fit better?

      Good luck with your sewing machine endeavors!

      Delete
  2. Amazing look dear! You are always so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Preziosa! <3 I'm loving your Parisian posts!

      Delete
  3. No, I don't make those small adjustments, though I should learn to.

    Oh my, though, can I just say how much I love that first photo? Your style is so clear and strong anymore and this outfit is so exemplary of it- both for your fashion style and your photography style. These seriously seem like something out of a dream- hazy and unsure and half remembered when waking. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Kristian. I was a little nervous about that one - it always takes a little courage for me to stare straight into the camera like that. I just love finding overgrown places to shoot - I think it really helps with the dream-like quality.

      Delete
  4. I had to check out the dress on the website just to see what on earth it looked like with an open back, I couldn't imagine it. It definitely looks much nicer with it closed! You look lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yes, it was a little off. I really loved how classic it looked in other respects. The open back also gaped oddly and showed my bra strap. But it's a super dress, otherwise!

      Thank you! <3

      Delete
  5. Love this dress--the collar is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your photos are perfect, I feel as if I'm walking through the forest with you! I'm also green with envy at your seeing a fawn, how adorable! And I'm so with you in the making adjustments boat - when thrifting a lot of things aren't my size but I still want them or they're damaged a bit. Comes in handy to be handy ;)

    ReplyDelete