Monday, August 18, 2014

Patterns and Pointed Collars

Navy blue shift dress, 60s pattern
Navy blue shift dress, 60s pattern
Simplicity 7852 - pointed collar
Simplicity 7852
Simplicity pattern 7852, 1968
Here's my first attempt (that isn't a costume) at a made-by-me dress. I used Simplicity 7852 from 1968. It was quite a learning experience, and there was a murky time during the middle of this project where it was looking grim and I had to put it away for a few days. I had great trouble with the sleeves, and I could tell they were going to look pajama-ish and wrinkly with the fabric I chose, so I decided to finish the armholes with bias tape and call it a day. Also, I thought this dress would be more flexible without sleeves, since I could go ahead and wear it in this humid August weather instead of waiting for fall!

The fabric is lovely. It's a sturdy washable blend of rayon and linen I picked up at fabric.com. At first, I wanted to recycle fabric from thrifted clothes, but I soon realized that was a huge challenge and a project in itself. I still want to give it a try, now that I have a little more experience.

The really appealing thing about this project was all the options. The last few articles of clothing I've purchased online have all had issues, and for a long time I've been saying "I can do better than that." And well, I can't. But there are some aspects I can improve on, like using quality fabric, creating a custom fit, and finding a perfect 60s silhouette in a vintage pattern, and that made this project rewarding. I also learned a lot about sewing! I'll definitely be using this pattern again - following it more closely and giving the peter pan collar a try.

By the way, I didn't get a close-up of them, but I'm wearing my vintage screw-back earrings. I didn't notice that the middle girl on the pattern envelope was also wearing pearl earrings until I put this post together!

bloglovin | tumblr | twitter | pinterest

19 comments:

  1. It looks lovely, I wouldn't of guessed it wasn't supposed to be sleeveless! It's so freeing to be able to make your own clothes and your own adjustments as necessary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm glad you think it looks normal with no sleeves. "Freeing" is a great description. I hope to learn more & have more options.

      Delete
  2. Ahh this is so cute! You look lovely and the dress is adorable and it looks well-made. I'm always happy to see people make their own dresses. It's such a neat thing to do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love seeing people make their own clothes too. It's so inspiring. :-)

      Delete
  3. Amazing work. I love the beautiful simple dress shape. It looks so easy to wear and is so cute. Great job.
    -Abigail

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Abigail! I just love simple clothes - I feel like they're hard to find, and that's one reason I wanted to try this project.

      Delete
  4. This is really awesome, I like it without the sleeves. I really want to try and make my own dress, I have some fabric ready and a pattern in mind, but I really need to get a newer dewing machine. I think mine is about 30years old and it's just not having any of it. Too much sewing and it just kind of gives up half way through. I need to get some good thread too, I only have some cheapy stuff that I bought to try out sewing. Maybe this weekend, I should pop into town and get some bits. You've made me excited to work on my own dress!

    I might look into these patterns though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think my thread was cheapy too. It gave me a fit! Too bad about your sewing machine. Mine's at least fifteen years old, and it's been surprisingly great so far - I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Good that you have your fabric, though. Choosing fabric was actually one of the hardest parts of this project for me!

      There are some awesome bloggers who know all about sewing with vintage patterns, and luckily, dress patterns from the 60s are pretty cheap and easy to find. Good luck!

      Delete
  5. I think it was the right choice to go sleeveless. This dress as right now looks like it could be dressed up or down so easily. You look quite chic really. I'm so impressed you made it yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Kristian. I always think: no sleeves = happy cardigans. :-)

      Delete
  6. You literally look like you stepped into a time machine; and I don't do so well with sleeves either. ;__;
    But the dress came out beautifully, I definitely like the way you altered it to make it workable. Aside from the dress, the bag is my favorite piece.<33

    vegcourtesy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Adi. I like thinking of these patterns as a time machine - or a time capsule. :-)

      Mean sleeves! :-P I'm glad you think the alterations work!

      Delete
  7. Wow, you did a fantastic job on that dress! I can't wait to start sewing this year (I just need help moving my super heavy sewing machine...) Anyways, I really like the dress without sleeves!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rebekah! My! Do you have one of those antique table sewing machines?

      :-)

      Delete
  8. Oh my gosh it's beautiful! Congratulations on a hugely successful first attempt! I've got to get my hands on this pattern, I adore the collar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It should be pretty easy to find. I can't remember the number, but there's also a Butterick version that looks identical. Simplicity 7476 is also kind of similar. Also, I would recommend sizing down. I had to alter the main pattern pieces because this size - although accurate to my measurements - was hugenormous! Good luck!

      Delete
  9. LOVE the dress it's gorgeous!
    Check out my blog and maybe we can follow each other? Hope to hear from you!
    Natalie

    www.maralmuse.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my, I love it Anna! I always prefer sleeveless dresses- it gives them so many more possibilities and you can wear them year round. You did such a great job! I have so much to learn about sewing, but each time I finish something it's such a rewarding feeling :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. The dress looks gorgeous and just beautiful on you. Well done, you should really give yourself a pat on the back! Very sweet earrings too!

    ReplyDelete