Thursday, December 10, 2015

Juliet

The Flying Clubhouse: Juliet | holiday outfit
The Flying Clubhouse: Juliet | holiday outfit
The Flying Clubhouse: Juliet | 60s evening bag
The Flying Clubhouse: Juliet | red berries
The Flying Clubhouse: Juliet | 60s velvet dress
The Flying Clubhouse: Juliet | vintage evening bag
The Flying Clubhouse: Juliet | red velvet dress
The Flying Clubhouse: Juliet | holiday outfitThe Flying Clubhouse: Juliet | vintage evening bag
The Flying Clubhouse: Juliet | December
The Flying Clubhouse: Juliet | holiday outfit
This vintage holiday dress, bright red with adorable sleeves, is a little left-field for me. I couldn't resist snatching up this perfect vintage piece, though, when I found it at a local thrift store. It's so adorable, and it's clear that someone lovingly made it by hand. And if you're going to wear red velvet, December is the time. Plus the sleeves make me feel like Juliet - or a walking valentine.

The 1968 Zeffirelli Romeo and Juliet has a special place in my heart. When Steven and I started dating we were (coincidentally?) studying Romeo and Juliet in a class together. We were shown the film in class, and later watched it again on our first Valentine's date. It's so beautiful - no wonder it was a fashion inspiration in the late 60s!

Incidentally, I have been in two productions of Romeo and Juliet, although I have never played Juliet. In one, I was a musician in the party scene. It was a traditional production in an outdoor theatre. I did wear puffed sleeves and velvet. In the second production, which had a contemporary setting, I played Capulet - a merging of Lord and Lady Capulet in the form of Juliet's teen mom. It was grim, and there was definitely no velvet and puffed sleeves. I wore daisy dukes, a bikini top, and held a beer in my hand - the total opposite of Zeffirelli! (☉_☉)

It's great to put together a holiday outfit that's completely second-hand. I've grown to love the quirks and flaws of a recycled wardrobe.

*Outfit photos by Steven.

dress // evening bag: thrifted vintage 60s/70s
shoes: thrifted

bloglovin | tumblr | twitter | pinterest instagram

6 comments:

  1. Who says redheads can't wear red?? I know your hair color is more on the strawberry blond or brown side (at least it appears to be, but this is great. For some reason in the holiday season, bright red looks great on anyone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed! I've given up trying to figure out what color my hair is. But you're right - red just looks great this time of year! :-)

      Delete
  2. You look so amazing, your style is so inspirational! What do you use for lip color? It looks so pretty, as a fellow pale girl I'm always on the look out for the perfect color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Alexandria! This lip color is one of my favorites. It's just Wet n Wild MegaSlicks lip gloss in Red Sensation. I have trouble with lip colors myself. Maybe it's a pale girl thing? I seem to do better with lip gloss over lipsticks.

      Have a nice day! :-)

      Delete
  3. You know, I'm not sure just anyone can pull off mutton-sleeves, but you really do. This is lovely on you.

    How lovely to hear more of how you two met! Montana Shakespeare in the Parks (and its non-summer incarnation, Montana Shakespeare in the Schools) tends to do Romeo and Juliet a fair amount, so I think I've seen it 5 or 6 times. I wasn't here the last time they were in town, but they set that one in the Old West (costume-wise at least!), but all the ones I've seen were more traditional where sleeves like this won't be out of place.

    Also- I didn't know you did theatre and that is so neat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kristian!

      R&J is a popular choice, isn't it? A good friend of mine was in a company that toured an "Old West" Taming of the Shrew, so I think I can visualize a similar Romeo and Juliet. I applaud you for seeing it 5 or 6 times. I think one reason the Zeffirelli version is so great is because it's cut so beautifully. The traditional production I was a musician in was completely uncut, and I don't remember how long it ran but it felt like it was six hours. (There were like two or three intermissions)!

      Do you do theatre too?

      Delete