Saturday, January 9, 2016

Clouds of January

The Flying Clubhouse: Clouds of January | winter outfit
The Flying Clubhouse: Clouds of January | winter outfit
The Flying Clubhouse: Clouds of January | winter outfit
The Flying Clubhouse: Clouds of January | winter outfit
The Flying Clubhouse: Clouds of January | winter outfit
It's a typical rainy January day - but not terribly cold. I've been wearing this wool-blend toggle coat all week. I thrifted two good coats in December and wasn't on the hunt for any more. However, when I happened upon this lovely gray one with toggle fastenings, I couldn't resist. I'm not sure why it wound up in a charity shop, but it's like new and just my size. What luck! It's not too thick - perfect for North Carolina winters.

I wore it the other night to see the new Sherlock - The Abominable Bride, which played in select theaters. My best friend bought us tickets in advance and we had a marvelous night out. As a Sherlock fan, the new installment got two thumbs up from me. But I digress. Thrifting a good coat might not be easy. Sometime's it's a matter of luck - just waiting until you stumble on the right one, like in this case. But with my black coat, I visited a few thrift stores in the area before I found one that had a good coat selection. Then I tried on at least a dozen before choosing the black one. Even then I needed to take it in at the shoulders.

Surprise or search - either way I'll happily build  my second-hand wardrobe.

dress: free people via lord & taylor
coat // boots // scarf: thrifted
bag: vintage 70s via crazygoodbananas
hat: sun 'n' sand (old)

bloglovin | tumblr | twitter | pinterest instagram

11 comments:

  1. Love this outfit and the location. The outfit looks so nice and warm---and the location is so pretty. I think that I think this every time I look at your outfit posts though!

    And I watched the abominable bride as well! I thought it was quite good too. I would have loved to see it in theaters. That's certainly the experience!

    Peace & Love // Celestralite

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love the location too. The area surrounding it is not very pretty, but this tiny patch of pine trees is a special bright spot in the middle of it all.

      I thought going to the theater was the only way to see it in the U.S. - I didn't realize it aired on TV until after the fact, lol. So glad you liked it! Have a nice evening. :-)

      Delete
  2. I love this outfit, it suits you so well, you look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks lady! ;-) Hope you're doing well.

      Delete
  3. Terrific outfit and woodland shots. Very true about winter coats, I find that to be the case with new ones as well, though very rarely buy as much. When you find one though, it's absolute magic and well worth even an arduous hunt.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely coat! I just thrifted a toggle coat, too, and I've been wearing it every day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool! I don't see many toggle coats second-hand. Congrats on your find. <3

      Delete
  5. Oh, man, I love this outfit! That hat!

    Also- how fun that they played the latest Sherlock in theaters. We had to make due watching it on our couch. I liked some parts- seeing this cast as the time-period correct versions was fun and the ladies complaining of not being in the stories are good tongue-in-cheek. Much of the rest felt like the show was Mansplaining feminism, which was annoying, but I digress too... I'm excited to see where the next season takes them though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      Lol, my friend loved it but though the denouement was a little pandering. I didn't have a problem with it, but I could see what she meant. I saw it again on the couch with Steven. He really enjoyed it. I asked him what he thought of the ending, and we had some interesting discussions about it. I am excited to see where it goes too.

      Delete