Sunday, May 8, 2016

Red Hair, Red Screen

The Flying Clubhouse: Red Hair, Red Screen
The Flying Clubhouse: Red Hair, Red Screen
The Flying Clubhouse: Red Hair, Red Screen
The Flying Clubhouse: Red Hair, Red Screen
The Flying Clubhouse: Red Hair, Red Screen
The Flying Clubhouse: Red Hair, Red Screen | spring thunderstorm
I colored my hair red about a month ago, and I'm really loving it. I had been thinking about it for awhile, and I finally decided to go for it. I was pretty sure I was done with lightening or permanent dyes, and I wanted to work with my natural hair color rather than against it. The results were better than expected.

I used a semi-permanent dye. It's just one bottle (no mixing, no peroxide) and it basically just stains my hair and combines with my natural color to create what you see. The semi-permanent color really evened out the brassy ends and ashy roots, which was great.

In other news (as I've mentioned before) I've had some computer trouble. Over the past week I've managed to get my very old Dell Inspirion laptop running again. It had a plethora of issues, however:

  • It needed a new AC adapter and battery (it wouldn't even start without these).  
  • The touch-pad mouse was non-functioning.
  • The headphone jacks are broken.
  • The screen is strawberry-colored upon startup. 
  • Some keys are missing, thanks to my late cat Brownie. 
  • It's prone to overheating - even slowing down and crashing because of this.
  • It has a 99 gig hard drive and only 2.00 gigs of RAM. Even when it was new, this was a problem for my media-heavy ways.

It also runs Windows Vista, but I actually prefer it to Windows 8 or 10. Vista is faster and more organized, in my opinion, and getting the old Dell running made me realize how much I missed it.

Anyway, I purchased a replacement AC adapter and battery. Fortunately, the redness in the screen mostly goes away a minute or two after booting. (It just needs to warm up)? Luckily, I had a spare wireless mouse to use instead of the touch-pad. Typing with missing keys isn't too much of an issue - two of the keys are only function keys, and one is the up key. Back when my cat Brownie was still kicking she loved the warmth of my laptop. One time I tried to gently pull her off my keyboard while I was working and she yanked off the two function keys with her claws. (Thanks, Brownie. I miss you all the same).

The over-heating was actually an easy fix. Upon unscrewing the back of the laptop I found half an inch of dust blocking the vent. It looked like the lent trap in a dryer. Without the dust blocking the fan, it runs cool again. Despite all these fixes, I think I'll be looking for a new laptop in the future. Hopefully, this one will work in the meantime. I will call it Frankencomputer.

top: thrifted
skirt: second-hand on ebay
bag: vintage 70s via crazygoodbannanas

10 comments:

  1. Well- loving the red hair but sad about the computer woes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm really lucky to have a backup, though. Quirky as it is. :-)

      Delete
  2. I'm running Vista on my computer, too! I love the hair color. I switched to henna hair dye a couple years ago and it works great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Vista sisters!

      Thank you! I've seen such gorgeous results with henna, yours included. Glad it works for you.

      Delete
  3. Woohoo for red! It looks great on you!
    Also hooray for getting your laptop up and running. Lots of stuff to fix there! I'd be careful with the pink screen thing though. Sometimes opening and closing the screen can pinch wires, causing issues like that. It'll happen on old laptops that have been opened and closed a lot. Have you tried looking up the drivers for the touchpad and uninstalling and reinstalling them with the latest version for your computer too? That could possibly get it running again. Good thing you have a mouse to use though. I, for whatever reason, don't have a wired one just in case driver issues pop up. Probably should be on my to-buy list.

    This is a perfect work outfit! I am a strong believer of leopard as a neutral too so I wear it pretty often. Probably too often. That leopard bag is amazing and so is your beret. I love how the accessories add a little extra fun to a classic pencil skirt and blouse combo. This white blouse is a fantastic staple piece too. The details make it so special. I wish I had one like it!

    Jamie | PetitePanoply.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I love your signature red too!

      I think you're dead right about the pinched wires. I have updated the drivers for the mouse since I posted this, and I noticed that the buttons now work, and I can occasionally get the touchpad to respond in the bottom left corner. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I should try uninstalling and installing like you suggest, though. It can't hurt.

      I guess that second part of your comment is for someone else, but I'm glad you posted it because now I really want to wear a beret and find a cute leopard bag!! <3

      Delete
  4. I think the red hair looks so good on you!
    Especially with the hairstyle you have!
    Not everyone can pull of red hair you know :)

    Sugarcandycandy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your red hair! My boys have been watching Scooby Doo lately and you've got a definite Daphne vibe going on in the best way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! The red wig I wore last Halloween with my Daphne costume was definitely a little nudge in this direction. I thought, "hey, I really like this color!" :-)

      Delete