Tuesday, March 10, 2020

My Style Uniform | 5 Pieces

My basic style uniform a t-shirt or some kind of knit top, slim pants or jeans, a jacket, and ankle boots. A style uniform could definitely get boring for some people, but to me it just feels like wearing my favorite outfit.

Where did this uniform come from? It was a combination of comfortable things I gravitated toward without thinking, and inspiration from video games and movies I liked. I was also inspired by a lot of model off-duty looks from the last few years. I've talked a little more about how my style has changed here.

Five Pieces


Ankle Boots

Black is my favorite, although I won't say no to dark brown. I wear black boots in the summer too, although I take occasional breaks with converse sneakers. My Palladiums (purchased from thredUp) are my favorite all-weather, all-purpose boots. They are more breathable than Dr. Martens and they feel a lot like canvas sneakers. I have some gel inserts in mine that make them very comfortable.

Slim Pants / Jeans

I used to have skinny jeans in my outfit formula, but I prefer a slim or straight cut of jeans or trousers now. While I love the vintage look of rigid, high-waisted denim, and I've thrifted some great examples, I've had to admit that they're too uncomfortable at the waist and I usually need bottoms with some stretch.

T-Shirt

In the winter I wear long-sleeved t-shirts. Most of my t-shirts are gray, which works well because most of my bottoms are black, brown or denim blue. 

Backpack

Backpacks are my jam - big ones for travel and/or laptop and little ones for every day items. I love being hands-free when I'm out and about.

Jacket

Bomber, motorcycle, racer - the jacket is what pulls it all together. Even in the summer I'll have a light jacket around in case of aggressive air conditioning. I've had several people tell me I look like "Amelia Earnhardt" in my flight jacket. (NASCAR is pretty popular where I live). It's a big compliment to me.
Everything pictured is second-hand except my Dr. Martens. I mention this because - years ago - I used to think that second-hand style looked like a thrift store nightmare. What changed my mind is knowing what I wanted when shopping and using different resources to find it - eBay, Etsy, ThredUp, as well as local thrift stores. It's more sustainable for my wallet and the environment, and I'm not looking back

Do you have a style uniform? What's your opinion on it?


⋆ bloglovin | pinterest | instagram | art shop | flickr ⋆

2 comments:

  1. I've been trying to develop more of a style uniform lately. My closet was getting to the point where nothing really went with anything else, and I was always wearing the same three outfits, but being extremely bored with it. Defaulting to a few garments because nothing else is working, is different than a true style uniform, I think. I've cleared out a lot of the items that don't work for my lifestyle (or taste anymore) and have started making a clear list of items to fill in the gaps. I'm not planning to buy anything new right away though, until I take more time to evaluate what I truly need!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like you have a good plan. 👍 It's so easy to get to a point where nothing goes with anything else.

      Delete