2. Margherita Caffi. Vase of Flowers
3. Juan de Arellano. Vase of Flowers
4. Jan Davidsz. de Heem. Vase of Flowers
5. Abraham Mignon. A Glass of Flowers and an Orange Twig
6. Willem van Aelst. Still Life with Flowers and Watch
7. Willem van Aelst. Group of Flowers
8. Jan Brueghel. The Great Bouquet
These still life paintings from the 17th (and no. 2 from the early 18th) century have me enchanted. Dripping with romance and drama, I can't help but get lost in these dark floral arrangements. The flowers feel larger than life. Often, there is more than meets the eye.
Do you see the one with the spider? Or the one with the pocket watch? I think my favorite is the one with the snail in the bottom left corner.