Monday, May 25, 2015

Afternoon

The Flying Clubhouse: Afternoon - Cardinal
The Flying Clubhouse: Afternoon
The Flying Clubhouse: Afternoon
Flying Clubhouse: Afternoon
The Flying Clubhouse: Afternoon
I've been spying on the backyard birds. It took some patience to get a snap of a cardinal - they seem to be especially sensitive to noises. I recently spotted some birds I have never seen before. They turned out to be brown-headed cowbirds, but didn't get any good photos of them. Cowbirds are interesting because they are brood parasites. They lay their eggs in the nests of other birds and let the host foster their young.

I haven't been taking as many photos or blogging as much as I like because I've been busy planning for the summer and writing. In my spare time, I've been enjoying long walks. The air smells nice with clover and honeysuckle. May has been incredibly beautiful.

bloglovin | tumblr | twitter | pinterest

7 comments:

  1. I'm impressed; birds seem hard to photograph! But you have great shots of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It definitely helps to have patience and a zoom lens. :-)

      Delete
  2. Lovely little cardinal! We don't have those in England. I love that photo of the wheat, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! We love our cardinals - they are the state bird of North Carolina. :-)

      Delete
  3. Those are great pictures of the birds!! What zoom lens do you use? I have a canon camera and am thinking about getting a zoom lens, but they are so expensive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura! Ugh, they *are* expensive! We use the Nikon AF-S Nikkor 55-200mm 1:4-5.6g ED. It was one of the two lenses that came with our Nikon d3100. I really love it for portraits. Good luck!

      Delete
  4. never even heard of a "brood parasite" how interesting!

    ReplyDelete