Friday, May 4, 2018

Recent Work - Oil and Cold Wax Spring Series

Wysteria, oil, pastel, and cold wax on cradled birch panel, 18" x 24" x .75" 
 Sakura, oil and cold wax on cradled birch panel, 16" x 20" x .75" 
Conversation Hearts, oil, pastel, and cold wax on cradled wood panel, 12" x 12" x 1.5"
Packing Cubes, oil and cold wax on panel, 11" x 14"
Nomads, oil, cold wax, and pastel on cradled birch panel, 12" x 12" x .75"
Nomads II, oil, cold wax, and pastel on cradled birch panel, 12" x 12" x .75" Nomads II
Work in progress on my tabletop easel.
Surface detail.

I've been hard at work with my new oil and cold wax Spring Series. It's inspired by texture, blossoms, and travel. Two of these are getting prepared to enter a competition - Wysteria and Nomads - and the rest will be appearing in my shop later.

"You like squares," a woman said while looking at my art a few months ago. The comment gave me pause. The way she said it seemed a bit reductionist. But after a moment of thinking about it, I had to admit that this was true. I really love squares. I adore squares, rectangles, and painting square-ish compositions. You can see some of that here, but I also tried to break that pattern and paint some more rounded and scattered shapes.

Working on this series was a great experiment in texture and layering. It taught me new ways of painting with knives. My current favorite is the Liquitex, Large No. 2. It's great for larger pieces, and in my small studio, I consider 18" x 24" large. Someday I'd love to work on even larger surfaces.

My portfolio website is in better shape since I reworked it a few weeks ago. I'd love to hear your opinion on it and how I can improve it.

Have a great weekend!

 bloglovin | tumblr | twitter | pinterest instagram art shop 

No comments:

Post a Comment