Friday, March 27, 2020

2020 Spring/Summer Style Inspiration

With the global pandemic I'm really scared, as I'm sure most of you are. Steven and I are social distancing and encouraging everyone else we know to do so as well. I'm engaging in as many normal activities as possible indoors and I even made some stay-at-home-goals. One is to be a more productive painter and another is to blog more. I hope you are finding some good things to do during this time, and I'm hoping as many of you as possible are staying healthy and those of you who are sick have a speedy recovery.

I may not be going out and seeing people any time soon, but that doesn't really change my thoughts on my style and wardrobe. I've always tried to dress for myself, anyway. But one issue I've had for years is that I don't really know how to dress myself in the summer - at least to my satisfaction. It's a real issue when you have a leather bomber jacket-centric style.

I used to wear cute little sundresses all summer, but that's not really my style now, and even then I wasn't the most comfortable with those looks. I love layers and jeans, and for some of spring and all of summer those things are too hot in our part of Western North Carolina. I default to short shorts in most of the summer, but I don't like shorts that much and I don't love wearing them out of the house. They feel more like pajamas or swimsuits to me rather than real clothes.

A lot of people swear by linen for keeping cool, so I'm trying some linen pants this summer. I'm also giving short-sleeved and sleeveless button-front shirts a try. I've been avoiding them for years because button shirts always gape at my chest, but now I'm adapting by pinning or sewing the gap shut.

I've also been looking around for spring and summer style ideas. Some things that I'm inspired by currently are:
  • 1930s adventurers and tomboys - mostly Amelia Earhart
  • 1980s Banana Republic 
  • Long silhouettes that include roomy trousers 
  • Longer cutoff shorts
  • Cargo pants/shorts
  • Neutral colors like khaki, olive, and tan
Does anyone else feel that their personal style diminishes when hot weather rolls around? Do you have any tips on how I can fix my summer style? Considering the current affairs, this isn't a serious problem but more of a...fun? problem to try and solve, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who wants more consistent personal style in a four-season situation.


Images sources:
Banana Republic Catalog: https://www.secretfanbase.com/banana/
Linda Tol in denim shorts: https://www.gettyimages.fi/detail/news-photo/linda-tol-wearing-a-white-top-denim-shorts-grey-crop-blazer-news-photo/1160054406
Amelia Earhart 1: https://www.nationalgeographic.co.uk/adventure/2019/07/missing-unsolved-mystery-amelia-earharts-last-flight
Amelia Earhart 2: https://observer.com/2017/06/amelia-earhart-fashion-icon-and-feminist-hero/
Amelia Earhart 3: https://www.bridgemanimages.us/en-US/asset/2938314
Amy Johnson and Amelia Earhart: http://amyjohnsonartstrust.co.uk/exhibition-panels/

⋆ bloglovin | pinterest | instagram | art shop | flickr ⋆

No comments:

Post a Comment