Saturday, October 31, 2020

Halloween 2020 - Cybersix and Lucas Amato


Happy Halloween! I hope you find fun ways to celebrate today despite the pandemic.

Since parties and in-person hangouts are pretty much out, we put more effort into our costumes this year. It's the one time a year we give ourselves an excuse to cosplay. (But do we need an excuse? Maybe it should be a year-round hobby)!

It was Steven's idea to be Cybersix and Lucas Amato this year. Cybersix (1999) is my favorite animated series, but I was hesitant because I wasn't sure I could make a superhero costume---or wear one. I decided I could wear black jeans and a fitted top instead of a full spandex (or leather) suit. Also, I wanted to be Adrian Seidelman, Cybersix's literature teacher alter-ego, too. I had the most fun with this costume, as I've always wanted to incorporate my own glasses into a Halloween costume. Besides, there's something precious about the belt with suspenders. Adrian is trying his best to be human.

We tried to be eco-friendly as much as possible this year---my cape is made from an old nightgown and a thrifted curtain panel. Everything was second-hand (except for the black hairspray), and we recycled pieces from our old costumes. My trench coat was part of our Anastasia costumes from Halloween 2018, where I did my best to make a thrift store trench coat look like a winter coat. For this project I needed to reverse the alterations and make it look like a trench coat again, which was definitely more difficult! Steven's shirt was also repurposed from 2018. The braces I'm wearing as Adrian were from Steven's Over the Garden Wall costume. The hat is composed of two old hats cut apart and stitched together. I needed the crown from one hat and the wide brim from the other. 

I was concerned that Steven's costume wasn't elaborate enough, but he was enthusiastic about it, and I think he looks fantastic. His vintage trench coat was a lucky find on eBay, as was his tie. Lucas Amato is such a warm and interesting character, and I love that---like Steven---he's a public school teacher. We had a lot of fun this year, and I would love to find an opportunity to wear these costumes again. The trench coats, shirts, and trousers are going into our regular wardrobes after Halloween is over. 

I recommend giving Cybersix a watch---there are only 13 episodes, but each one is beautifully animated and voice-acted. Not an ad, but Discotek Media produced a good DVD release.

Have a spooky and safe Halloween - and don't forget to vote, U.S. friends!

Although he lives a few hours away, Jupiter still makes a great Data-7


⋆ 
bloglovin | pinterest | instagram | art shop | flickr ⋆

No comments:

Post a Comment