Wednesday, May 12, 2021

My Secondhand Summer Capsule Wardrobe (Practical and Sensory-Friendly)

Hello! We're getting into the hot and humid months here in North Carolina, and I've put away my winter clothes and pulled out my t-shirts and shorts. I've also been shopping at our local thrift store since I've been vaccinated, and it's been so much fun after almost a year of not not thrifting. 

If you've been following this sporadic blog for awhile, you may have noticed that my style has changed a lot over the years. This is mostly because of changes in my lifestyle. I'm very focused on my art, my hobbies are becoming more out-door focused. It's also important to me to shop second-hand when possible. (If my wardrobe looks too casual and grungy for your taste, please don't let that scare you from shopping second-hand. That's just the style I seek out these days). 

Another big factor in my style choice is that my life-long sensory issues have become more pronounced in recent years. I really need soft clothes. While I love the look of high-waisted shorts and pants, I often find them uncomfortable on my waist. My clothes can be a little tight or fitted as long as they're very soft, otherwise I prefer loose pieces. I also have a tough time with the heat and humidity in the summer, as well as the intense air conditioning indoors, so my current wardrobe reflects this with short sleeves and layers. 

I wanted to document my current wardrobe because most examples of small-ish wardrobes and capsule wardrobes online are new and perfect looking, I wanted to show my utilitarian, used, nothing-special wardrobe with the fading and wrinkles. This is my every day wardrobe, so not pictured are some separate clothes to wear to weddings and nice events, which I keep in a box in the top shelf of my closet because they rarely get worn.

Everything pictured is secondhand except my prescription glasses and the Sketchers sandals and sneakers.

Anyway this is what my spring and summer wardrobe looks like right now, but I'm always changing things around. Do you have any tips on how to make it better? I think I could lose some of outer layers and shoes for practicality, but I like them all so I keep them around. I'm also looking to add some more personality to this utilitarian capsule. Maybe a crop top to balance out all these t-shirts? I'm not sure If I'm brave enough for that.

How does your wardrobe reflect your current needs?
Update 05/23/21: I thought my current wardrobe needed some color so I bought some fun socks from an outlet at a local sock factory.

⋆ bloglovin | pinterest | instagram | art shop | flickr ⋆

No comments:

Post a Comment